Services – an overview
At Harp Technologies, we are proud of our competence, expertise, and capabilities in RF, microwave, and millimetre-wave technology. We have a strong team of experienced design engineers and project managers with more than 120 years of accumulated professional experience in R&D in the domains of space technology, defence & security, remote sensing, and telecommunication. We are used to working with the most demanding specifications. This enables us to serve our customers in the development of better products or in the development of methods and technology to acquire critical measurement data.
Determined to provide our customers with the best value, Harp Technologies is constantly improving its capabilities in design and development. We have a wide range of leading design software tools. We also have an ESD-protected laboratory with an extensive set of equipment for prototyping, electrical measurements, and environmental testing. These enable us to make in-house measurements up to 100+ GHz in frequency and in a temperature range from -40°C to +180°C in-house. Wider frequency and temperature ranges are also possible in cooperation with our partners. For security-sensitive work, we have the capability for Facility Security Clearance (FSC) and Personnel Security Clearances (PSC).
Our software tools include the CST MICROWAVE STUDIO® 3D electromagnetic (EM) field simulation software, the AWR Microwave Office® RF/microwave circuit design software, the KeyCreator™ mechanical CAD software, and Matlab® for scientific computing. These cutting-edge tools help us to provide our customers with accurate design results and fast development cycles. A wide range of simulation solvers are available for virtual prototyping, including:
- a time-domain (FDTD) solver for EM
- a frequency-domain (FEM) solver for EM
- an eigenmode solver for EM
- an integral equation (MLFMM) solver for EM
- an asymptotic (Shooting Bouncing Ray method) solver for EM
- a structural mechanics solver
- a thermal solver
Thanks to this unique mix of competences, experience, and resources, Harp Technologies is able to solve our customers’ needs in RF and microwave technology over a wide range.
The services provided by Harp Technologies are divided into two categories: Studies and Analyses and Design and Development. Considering customers’ R&D cycles, Harp Technologies provides services that cover the whole range from concept and feasibility studies to the development of a prototype or a small series and turning the design into mass production. We can help our customers in any single step of the R&D cycle or provide a complete turnkey solution.
Studies and Analyses
The Studies and Analyses service category encompasses, on one side, theoretical work in the form of studies, for example pre- or feasibility studies. On the other side, various electromagnetic (EM) analyses are offered, such as antenna pattern and performance analyses (including the surrounding environment, if needed), analyses of electromagnetic heating effects, electrostatic discharge (ESD), and radar cross-section (RCS). Within this service category, we have assisted our customers in a large number of assignments for various applications – selected examples include:
- EM simulations of the thermal effects of microwaves in an industrial application
- antenna performance simulations and design optimisation of a hand-held device for industrial applications
- study and preliminary design of a spaceborne remote sensing instrument, including all its subsystems (antennas, receivers, signal processing, calibration, etc.)
- feasibility study and simulations of a novel antenna concept for a telecommunication application
Design and Development
The Design and Development category embraces the design and development of customised RF, microwave, and millimetre-wave components, modules, subsystems, and whole systems, such as self-standing instruments. The services provided range from the specification and design up to the development and delivery of small series and hand-over to mass production. Both planar and waveguide technologies are supported. Qualification can be performed according to generic (e.g. MIL, ECSS, etc.) or customer-specific specifications. In particular, we have strong competence and experience in the design and development of:
- active and passive microwave sensors (radars and radiometers) and their subsystems
- microwave components (e.g. ferrite switches and isolators)
- technology for Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) countermeasures
- antennas for various devices, frequency bands, and applications